Humble beginnings are cliché in this land of rags, but layer it with rap as a genre and the only one we’ve got is Gloc-9. Moving from love and dance rap to socially relevant music, Gloc-9’s songwriting is one that’s unique in these shores premised as it is on his own personal history of struggle, yet refusing as it does narcissism or self-aggrandizement. Here are songs that insist on looking at nation, with compassion on the one hand and fearlessness on the other, where the demand for fundamental change is cloaked in words familiar and painful. That in the end these reveal the times to its core, as we should know it, can only be the point.
In the past three years Gloc-9 has risen to become the one Filipino musician to bravely engage with the travails of nation. That he has been embraced by mainstream television and radio while he has remained unflinching in his critical stance about current society, therein lies his music’s power. Pinoy rap lives. And his name is Gloc-9.
Si Gloc-9 ay umusbong hindi bilang rapper kungdi bilang tao mula sa Binangonan Rizal, tagahanga ni FrancisM, naging empleyado ng fastfood chain at ng malaking media company bilang music researcher, bago na-diskubre bilang rapper. Gumawa ng love at dance rap, ngunit paglao’y makikilala sa paggawa ng mga kantang patungkol sa personal na pakikipamuhay sa araw-araw ng kahirapan, sa harap ng krisis ng tunggalian sa Pinas na kinalakhan.
Walang patumangga ang pakikilahok ni Gloc-9 sa mga usaping bayan. At sa panahong yinakap na siya ng telebisyon at radyo, nagiging mas malinaw pa ang halaga ng pakikilahok na ito. Ito ang hinihingi ng kasaysayan sa bawat manggagawa sa sining, at ito ang hindi ipinagkakait ng kanyang panulat. Iisa ang pangalang katumbas ng Pinoy rap sa panahong ito. Ang pangalang ito ay Gloc-9.
— Katrina Stuart Santiago, February 2012.
- Dapat Tama election campaign, songwriter and performer. Gloc-9 was hand-picked by GMA Network to be the face and voice of Dapat Tama, an election campaign for a responsible voting public. April-May 2013.
- Anti-bullying campaign. In 2013, Gloc-9 wrote and performed Katulad Ng Iba with Zia Quizon, a song about finding the strength to persist despite being bullied, reminding that things can and will change, when the weak will cease to be so, and the strong will find reason to be compassionate. Gloc-9 is also featured artist in Sponge Cola’s Anting-Anting (2014), where he talks about holding on to one’s dreams, no matter the hopelessness, because there are kindred spirits who will understand.
- In 2012, Gloc-9 was appointed National Peace Ambassador by the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process, and has performed in concerts for peace for places at war or those in the midst of violence.
- Since the single “Upuan” from the album Matrikula, Gloc-9’s songs have become part of the literature curriculum of the Department of Education’s K-12 program.
- Gloc-9 has traveled the world, entertaining overseas Filipino worker communities from the US to Canada, New Zealand to Qatar, Signapore to Dubai.
mobile: 0917-835 6488
PPL OFFICE look for Pao Luciano
mobile: (0917) 808 0599
landline: (02) 411-6773
- Guillermo Mendoza Box-Office Entertainment Awards, Male Recording Artist of the Year
- FAMAS Awards, Best Original Theme Song, “Hindi Pa Tapos” for “Bonifacio: Ang Unang Pangulo
- Awit Awards, Best Collaboration, “Magda” feat. Rico Blanco
- Awit Awards, Album of the Year, Liham at Lihim
- Awit Awards, Song of the Year, “Magda” feat. Rico Blanco
- Awit Awards, Best Rap Recording, “Magda” feat. Rico Blanco
- Best Novelty Recording, “Papel” by Joey Ayala feat. Gloc-9
- MYX Music Awards, Favorite Song, “Magda” feat. Rico Blanco
- MYX Music Awards, Favorite Collaboration, “Magda” feat. Rico Blanco
- MYX Music Awards, Favorite Music Video, “Magda” feat. Rico Blanco
- MYX Music Awards, Favorite Urban Video, “Magda” feat. Rico Blanco
- WAVE 89.1, Urban Music Awards, Best Original Song “Magda” feat. Rico Blanco
- MYX Music Awards, Favorite Song, “Sirena” feat. Ebe Dancel
- MYX Music Awards, Favorite Collaboration, “Sirena” feat. Ebe Dancel
- MYX Music Awards, Favorite MYX Live Performance with GLOCNINE
- PMPC Star Awards for Music, Album Of the Year, Mga Kwento Ng Makata
- PMPC Star Awards for Music, Music Video Of the Year, “Sirena”
- Awit Awards, Album of the Year, Mga Kwento Ng Makata
- Awit Awards, Song Of The Year, “Sirena”
- Awit Awards, Music Video Of The Year, “Sirena”
- MYX Music Awards, Favorite Male Artist
- MYX Music Awards, Favorite Urban Video, “Elmer”
- MYX Music Awards, Favorite Collaboration, Parokya Ni Edgar’s “One Hit Combo” feat. Gloc-9
- Famas Award, Best Movie Theme Song for “Hari Ng Tondo”
- Globe Tattoo Awards, Indie Rocker of the Year
- Yahoo OMG Awards, Male Singer of the Year
- USTv Students’ Choice Awards 2012, Best Music Video for “Walang Natira”
- Myx Music Awards Favorite Male Artist
- PMPC Star Awards:
- Rap Artist of the Year
- Rap Album of the Year, Talumpati, Sony Music
- Music Video of the Year, “Walang Natira” directed by J. Pacena
- 23rd Awit Awards:
- Song Of The Year
- Best Rap Recording
- Best Collaboration
- Best Sound Engineer for the Song “Upuan” (“Upuan” Is the first rap song awarded as Song Of The Year in the history of Awit Awards)
- Best Rock/Alternative Recording “Martilyo”
- Tambayan 101.9 Opm Awards Song Of The Year For “Upuan”
- Myx Music Awards Favorite Urban Video “Upuan” (directed by J Pacena)
- Wave 89.1 Urban Music Awards Best Male Hip Hop Artist
- Waki Opm Awards 101.9 Best Dance Hit “Sumayaw Ka”
- Video Of The Year Mtv Pilipinas for “Sayang”
2005 to 2009
- Rap Artist Of The Year, The Philippine Hip Hop Awards
- Awit Award for Christmas Song “Pasko Na Naman”
- Katha Award for Best Rap Recording for “Isang Araw”
- Awit Award for Best Rap Recording for “Isang Araw”